Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Meet our Leaders: Seval

I am a 21-year-old Rochester, NY native with dual citizenship in Turkey and the United States. "Seval," as you may have guessed, is Turkish and means "joy." Among my many travels, Turkey makes the list multiple times. I have been all over the northeast United States playing in ultimate frisbee tournaments and have had the chance to visit Ireland and Italy. I am always going somewhere- I love to travel!

I just finished my junior year at Ithaca College, where I major in music education with a minor in mathematics. Saxophone is my main instrument, though I greatly enjoy the immensely complicated French horn. Developing skills on the French horn, soprano saxophone and guitar are my present musical ambitions. In teaching music lessons over the past few years, I have worked with relatively young students and am excited to work with a slightly older age group through Teen Treks.

I am also very athletic as an avid ultimate frisbee player, swimmer and cyclist. For years I used my sister's bike to get around Rochester; last summer I invested in my own beautiful, green bicycle and started to become an enthusiastic cyclist riding all over Rochester and Ithaca. I completed my first triathlon this spring, and it was one of the most exhausting, exhilarating experiences of my life.

Most of my best times are having crazy fun with my friends, who love Disney movies even more than I do, baking cookies and other delicious treats, and being out in the sunshine with my camera.

This is my first summer with Teen Treks and I am so excited for the great experiences this opportunity will bring.