Friday, June 5, 2009

Meet our Leaders: Molly

I’m Molly Wallace, I’m 25 years old and live in New York City. I’m originally from Seattle, but moved to Rome, Italy when I was eight. No one believed I was Italian so I grew up telling people I was from Seattle, even though I didn’t know the area well anymore. I also went to boarding school in England and graduate school in Ireland. I am currently a law student at NYU.

I like to take outdoor weekend excursions when I can. Recent trips include bike rides around Bear Mountain, from Princeton, NJ to Doylestown, PA and a winter trek across the GW bridge through the NewJersey Palisades. I also recently spent a week working on a huge wooden sloop (sailboat) called the Clearwater. I’m still regaining my land legs. When I can’t get out of town, I keep up with my biking by commuting and dodging traffic on Third Avenue.

My work with teens has ranged from being a resident assistant to teaching SAT prep to running mental health programs for young adults. I’ve had many odd jobs over the years and the ones where I get to work with this age group have always proven to be my favorite. I’m particularly excited to have this opportunity share my affinity for outdoor adventure with what I expect will be a great group of teens.

When I’m not adventuring or lawyering, I like to play drums, cook up big meals with friends, read science-fiction and history and debate politics.