Monday, May 11, 2009

Meet our Leaders: Kevin

Hi everyone! My name is Kevin McNerney and I am a rising senior at the University of Illinois out in the corn fields of the Midwest. I am majoring in Molecular Biology and have an interest in going into medicine as a pediatrician. I must say that of all my experiences, working with kids have been my favorites. I have worked as a camp counselor for the past three summers, and have loved every minute of it. Most recently, I was a camp counselor at a stay away camp in Gainesville, Texas; if any of you have questions about the Lone Star State I’d be happy to talk about it. While in Texas, I led a cross country class for children with Type 1 Diabetes. We had a few close encounters with the Texas cattle on our runs, but we saw some great sights and it turned out to be a lot of fun for everyone. During the school year, I tutor middle school students in math and a university freshman in biology. Meeting and learning about new people is always a lot of fun for me, and keeps me going back to these tutoring programs year after year. As for my free time, I run marathons, bowl, read, watch “The Office” and, last but definitely not least, bike. I cannot wait to meet all of you and am really looking forward to a great trip.