Monday, May 18, 2009

Meet our Leaders: Bonnie

Greetings! I'm Bonnie Enders. I am a high school math teacher living and teaching in Arlington, Virginia. I graduated from the University of Virginia in 2001 with a degree in Systems Engineering. After graduating, I spent a year with Americorps in San Jose, California helping to run an after school science program for at-risk youth. After my year in San Jose, I spent a few years in the financial sector before going back to graduate school for a degree in secondary education. I have taught at both the Junior High and High School levels, and love the day to day variety and spontaneity of working with teenaged students.

I first got into cycling about seven years ago when training for my first triathlon. Three triathlons later I have realized that I really only enjoy the cycling leg, and have since focused my energy more on bike riding and touring. My favorite biking trip so far has been cycling from Prague to Budapest last summer (even though it rained half the time)!

In my spare time I enjoy reading, traveling, any form of outdoor recreation, and hanging out with my husband, Alex, and dog, Sydney. My travels have taken me to Alaska, Mexico, Belize, Costa Rica, and all over Europe. My hobbies definitely center around being outside and active - hiking, biking, camping, kayaking, climbing, skiing, snowboarding, rollerblading... As long as I'm outdoors or moving, I'm happy!I am very excited about the opportunity to work with Teen Treks this summer, and am eager to meet everyone on my Trek!