Monday, May 12, 2008

Meet our Leaders: Erin

I currently live in Michigan, where I am a high school French teacher. I have also lived in North Carolina, Ontario (Canada), and Alaska. The farthest east I’ve traveled is St. Petersburg, Russia; the farthest north and west is Fairbanks, Alaska; and the farthest south is Cozumel, Mexico. While I was a student at Michigan State University, I participated in a study abroad program in Quebec City. I am married and have a 3-year-old son. My husband is Canadian. We are both amateur (ham) radio operators; we met on the air when I was 16 and he was 17. My dreams include riding in a hot air balloon and seeing polar bears in their natural habitat. The craziest thing I’ve ever done was agree to move from Michigan to Alaska on two weeks’ notice, never having been to Alaska before—and then to drive there in a U-Haul truck (a nine-day trip). I think I’ll be a good leader because I can maintain a healthy balance between having fun and being responsible. I’m looking forward to hanging out with teenagers and not having to give anyone a hard time for having a cell phone out in class or not turning in their homework.