Monday, April 30, 2018

Welcome back Trip Leader Katie!

Hey there Teen Trek adventurers!

My name is Katie and I am travelling all the way from south Texas to come hit the road with you this summer. This isn’t my first rendezvous with Teen Treks, I got to lead a trip back in 2011 with some awesome kids, and I still think about the times we collected mussels in the bay and cooked them over the fire later that evening, or the time we biked faster than ever to catch the last ferry of the night, or the delicious pizza we ate after a day full of monstrous hills. Bike trips like this are life changing adventures, and I can’t wait for the experiences we will have together this summer! A little about myself, I grew up in Texas near the river, and I am not ashamed to say that I consider jumping in the river an equal trade for a shower! I love being outside, if I could live in a tent for the rest of my life, I’d be content! Instead, I live in a tiny travel trailer on the river, right next to a bike trail wrapping all around the city! Just as much as I love being outside, I also love people. I’ve traveled to Spain, England, Mexico, Canada, Turkey, Israel, Palestine, Rwanda, Portugal, and all around the U.S. Embracing new cultures, meeting new people and learning about different ways of life is a passion of mine. I’ve been involved with peace and reconciliation work with youth in my travels, and continue to pursue my interest in a better future for humanity through sports initiatives, blog writing and podcasting. Learning from younger generations while imparting the wisdom I have gained is important to me, and there is no better way to do this than taking a trip together and seeing where the road takes us!