Friday, April 11, 2008

Hear Brendan's Story!

This past summer I went on the Pacific Coast Teen Treks Adventure. I biked from Seattle, Washington to Vancouver Canada and back. Before going on this trip I was not an experienced biker at all, in fact, I could barely ride a bike without wobbling the handle bars. After the trip I was a good biker and could transport myself around. The friends I made on this trip was one great aspect. Yes, at first you’re nervous that you won’t make any friends, however, after a while you start to talk to everyone because you are literally spending twenty four hours a day with these people for over two weeks. It also seems weird hanging out with all these people you’ve never met before for so much time but when you go home it feels weird not being with them. The counselors are also very good at introducing and connecting the different kids with one another. I have been part of many other teen adventure organizations. Teen Treks gives you a lot more freedom and independence to do things. During the trip Iwanted to go running. As long as I went with a partner and told my counselor where I was going he was happy to let me go. Many of the other kids got to do things like shopping and eating at various pizza and doughnut restaurants. If someone asked me if this trip is worth going on, I’d say without a doubt. Definitely. The activities we didon this trip, the great sense of self pride I had after a hard bike ride, the food, and friends gained all made this trip an amazing experience.


~ Brendan Smith, Grade 11, Pacific Northwest Trek