Thursday, June 21, 2018

Past Trekker Annalisa van den Bergh and 1,000 Miles of Portraits

(Annalisa and the 2008 Teen Treks Across America group)

Annalisa van den Bergh went on Teen Treks' first Across America Trek back in 2008. Last summer she bicycled across the country and took photos of people she met along the way, inspired by her experiences on Teen Treks. Her Miles of Portraits chronicles these people and their stories.

This year her and a friend are embarking on a 1000 Mile Trip through Alaska as a continuation of last year's Miles of Portraits. Learn more and donate to their Kickstarter to help with the project!

The following is an excerpt from a conversation I had with Annalisa in March about how biking with Teen Treks changed her life.


Tyler: Why did you want to do the Across America Trek when you were a teenager?

Annalisa: It was like my dream ever since I did the first trip from Buffalo to Toronto, just like the idea of dipping your tires in both oceans. It was just like so much bigger than myself and I always dreamed about doing it. I found it to be really liberating.

Tyler: How did your experience biking across the country with Teen Treks effect your life?

Annalisa: Teen Treks literally changed my life. I wouldn't have found out about bike touring if it wasn't for Teen Treks. I basically decided that since it was the highlight of my life in 2008, I figured I'd do it again when I had the chance. So last year I did the Trans-America trail and I really re-discovered my love of bike travel and decided that I want to do it for the rest of my life because it just makes me the most happy. It's pretty amazing how many other bicyclists you meet on the route because it's a popular route. So I ended up leapfrogging across the country with all these different people. And the Trans America is amazing, it goes through every type of landscape. So last year I did the Trans-America trail and I really re-discovered my love of bike travel and decided that I want to do it for the rest of my life because it just makes me the most happy.

Tyler: So was your Across America Teen Trek what you expected it to be? Did you have any expectations?

Annalisa: My expectation was that it would be like nothing else I had ever experienced, and that's like exactly what it was. But I was surprised by how many moments & small towns we still remember 10 years later. Like I was talking to Matt, our counselor about how we still remembered the name of this tiny pie shop in Minnesota that sold square pies. But I feel like what I remember most about these trips is just like the people you meet along the way. Just because there's something about riding a loaded bicycle that draws a lot of attention, especially when there's like seven of you! You just meet so many more people. I feel like the bike is such a great equalizer, most people have access to it. It really does bring people together. I still remember so many people that we met along the way. This actually inspired me to take pictures more properly in a blog that I started on last year's trip called 4000 Miles of Portraits - where I took a picture of people I met along the way. And that was really inspired by that Teen Treks trip, and the kindness that we came across.