Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Meet Our Leaders: Jake Hicks

Hej Hej! My name's Jake and I'm from near the Thousand Islands in Northern New York, about 13 miles from the bridge to Canada.

Moving by bike has always meant a lot to me, combining freedom and agency with the thrill of speed and a constant change in space (and time, if you know of Einstein's theory of relativity). To me, there is no better way to find, learn, or experience a place than to bike it, and no other way is as much fun!

When I'm not riding, I like to learn about other cultures, read critical theory, work on challenging projects, and experience as many different people, places, and things as possible. I love dancing, mountain biking, driving, visiting museums, going to film screenings, and exploring unknown places.

I've worked with teens in many different settings, including transitional homes, after school programs, college dorms, and a number of regular discussion groups. I love the perspectives that teens have; I feel they are often more honest to their feelings and experiences than those of us who have had more time to close some of those passages. This, and the enjoyment I get from guiding people into learning new things has led me to Teen Treks where I will experience the road and all that it brings alongside all of you!
I'm excited to meet ya'll and get rolling!