Friday, March 21, 2014

Meet Our Leaders: Rachel Samaniego

Rachel!My name is Rachel Samaniego, and I was born and raised in the city of Chicago. I currently work in the Chicago Public School system as an art teacher! I love my job and seeing how creative children really are. I’ve taught K-8 grade art and find the older kids very creative and skilled. I’ve experienced the joys of teaching kids art, and now I can’t wait to teach kids about my other passion: bicycle touring.

In college, I rode across the country in an effort to raise money and awareness for cancer research. This was when I really experienced the beauty of our country for the first time and the joys of cycling. Ever since then, I have been inspired to ride my bike long distances. I have completed a one-month tour from Portland, OR to West Glacier, MT, and a 2-week tour from San Francisco to L.A. I am currently planning a trip from Pittsburgh to Washington D.C. for Spring Break. Cycling allows me to be free and see beautiful scenery from a different perspective. Camping and hostelling are a part of my ideal vacation. No stress, no pressure, just simple living.

Riding with me will be very fun because I am light-hearted and relaxed, but also know how to manage the needs and safety of others. I am energetic and have endless stories to tell about growing up and teaching in Chicago. My goal is to have my teens thrive and challenge themselves this summer while creating unforgettable memories.