Monday, September 14, 2009

From the Perspective of a Great Leader: Dave


About a year ago a friend of mine sent me a link for this organization by the name of Teen Treks with a message attached which said "we should do this". At the time we were both full time summer camp employees which we both loved very much and found hard to leave. This past summer I wanted to take some summer classes and have some free time to travel so I thought it would be the perfect summer to lead a trip for Teen Treks with the left over time. I can look back at the trip and after scuba diving in Florida, climbing in seven states, and a couple road trips, my trip with Teen Treks still stands out as the highlight of my summer, hands down. I had the coolest group of kids, each bringing their own special touch to the trip. We got to see so many different things, and seeing them on bike was such a different and better experience than seeing them with any other form of travel, it provided us the best opportunity to really take it all in. The people we met at hostels, camp grounds, and periodically on the trail were the type of people I wish I ran into everywhere, we always knew "we belonged" where ever we were. The only tough part of the trip was saying goodbye to the kids that I spent the last two weeks getting to know so well, they truly made the trip so much better than if I had been at it with anyone else, not to mention my amazing co-leader, who rocked as well. I am an adventure seeker and somewhat of an adrenaline junky, and this has opened up a whole nother adventure opportunity for me, and I can't wait to do it again! Thank you Teen Trekkers for making my summer a great one!!

~ Dave Burnette, 2009 Leader