Wednesday, September 23, 2009

From the Perspective of a Great Leader: Bryan


I cannot properly emphasize with what facility of written English (or lack thereof) that I possess, the magnitude of joy brought by the experience. It is unparalleled by any other to date. Leaders play several roles: as twenty-somethings, in-between juvenile and adulthood, we are given an awesome responsibility and opportunity. I felt a bit paternal (also maternal) at times, protective of my flock, daring to act responsibly and even struggling at times with the implementation of discipline where necessary. But I also became part-kid, and allowed myself to fully enjoy the naivete and sometimes immaturity of childhood, as we discovered the world through that different filter permitted only by this sort of travel. I enjoyed observing the group dynamics, watching "my" kids establish bonds that will last at least in memory for the rest of their lives. It was incredible to witness each of them as they faced new challenges, growing and learning from their experiences. Most of all I loved all the ice cream and the 'potty' humor.