Thursday, May 21, 2015

Meet Our Leaders: Skylar

Hi Everybody! My name is Skylar I live in Baltimore Maryland, and just graduated from the Maryland Institute College of Art. After having spent all winter cooped up in my studio sculpting I cannot wait to get out on the road! I have been riding a bike for about as long as I have been walking and I can’t think of a more fun and relaxing way to explore new places! I am looking forward to seeing new sights, spending some time out in nature, enjoying a good camp fire, and getting to share the experience!
Last year I spent all spring and summer working on an urban farm in Baltimore. Part of my job while I was there was to work with the high schoolers and other volunteers that came through the farm. So I spent a lot of time encouraging people to try things that were new to them and got some good practice in handling even the crabbiest, tiredest, and dirtiest of teens. Over all it was a great summer and I loved helping people learn about where their food comes from and how to help it grow. When I was in high school I took two trips with Teen Treks, both of which were amazing. Most recently since then I have hiked the Devils Path, a trail through the Catskill mountain range, and taken a combination bike and train trip out west to New Mexico, Arizona, and California. When I’m not out on an adventure (or finishing college!) I spend my time, making artwork, enjoying music, reading, and farming.